Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Chicken
This recipe for stuffed poblano peppers with chicken was created for this year’s Kevin’s Natural Foods recipe contest. I’ve participated in their contests in the past and it’s always a good time! Their products are very clean as well as keto and paleo-friendly. This stuffed poblano pepper with chicken recipe uses their Chicken Chile Verde or Cilantro Lime Chicken. The verde chicken version is made with tomatillos, roasted poblanos, and traditional Mexican spices and offers an especially bright and fresh flavor. The cilantro lime chicken has a more subtle flavor but both options pair amazingly well with this dish.
One of the goals of the contest was to create a recipe that is ready in 15 minutes or less. You know I love quick and delicious meals, so this was a great fit for me. You can find even more quick and easy keto meals in my Easy Weeknight Keto cookbook.
Disclaimer: Links may contain affiliate links, which means we may get paid a commission at no additional cost to you if you purchase through this page. Read our full disclosure here.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Chicken Ingredients
To make the stuffed poblano peppers with chicken recipe, you’ll need the Kevin’s Chicken Chile Verde or the Cilantro Lime Chicken and just a few extra ingredients. If you can’t find the chile chicken for some reason, you can substitute a pound of chopped chicken breast and a cup of tomatillo salsa. However, they sell all of their products online at their website. This means you can easily get Kevin’s into your kitchen even if you can’t find it in your local store!
All of the carbs in this recipe come from whole food sources and most are in the onion and tomatoes. I find that when I consume vegetable carbs, my ketones aren’t affected. As always, your mileage may vary, but the number of carbs in this dish can easily fit into keto macros.
To make a paleo version of this dish by substituting olive oil for butter and nut cheese for the cotija.
I love this dish with both the optional avocado and lime! The fresh squeezed lime juice really sets of the chicken and poblano flavors while the avocado adds extra creaminess. I also like to add some “sour cream.” For me that means greek yogurt in place of sour cream for the extra protein. However, real Mexican crema would be fantastic on this dish.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Chicken
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 14 ounces canned diced tomato
- 1 package Kevins Chicken Chile Verde
- 8 ounces crumbled cojita cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium avocado, chopped, optional
- 1 large lime, quartered, optional
- In a large stockpot, boil 8 cups of water.
- Cut the tops off of the poblano and remove the seeds.
- Place the poblaos into the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the peppers and allow them to cool slightly while finishing the filling.
- While the poblanos cook, in a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Place the onion in the skillet and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, Kevin's Chicken Chile Verde and the sauce packet. I put the chicken and sauce in frozen. If you want the dish done even faster, defrost the chicken and sauce in the refriegerator before using or defrost it in the microwave.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Pour in 2/3 of the cilantro and 2/3 of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Stuff the peppers with the chicken filling. Slit the peppers lengthwise to allow for easier stuffing if desired.
- Sprinkle the peppers with the remaining cilantro and cheese.
- Garnish with avocado and lime wedges, if desired. Squeeze lime juice over chicken before eating.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to tag @healnourishgrow on Instagram to be featured in our stories or our newsletter! We love it when you make our recipes and share with your friends.