Far Infrared Sauna Blanket, Benefits and Experience
If you're into biohacking like I am, you're probably aware that heat therapy is very therapeutic. One of the best ways you can take advantage of heat therapy is with a far infrared sauna. It has a lot of benefits and has been well studied for years. Unfortunately, not everyone has the space or budget to purchase a large, traditional sauna. I started looking into this more, and quickly discovered how pricey saunas can be! There is a relatively inexpensive option though that I want to share with you; a sauna blanket. A far infrared sauna blanket allows you to experience all of the benefits of sauna, without the need for a lot of extra space.
A far infrared blanket allows you to receive all of the same amazing benefits of traditional sauna without the expense or space. They're easy to use, easy to clean and whenever you are feeling sluggish and need an energy boost, a far infrared sauna blanket will help revitalize you by increasing heart rate and blood flow while giving you a good, detoxifying sweat. I've been testing a sauna blanket from Sun Home Saunas. They've been featured on a lot of media outlets and I wanted to find out what the hype was about.
Discounts on Sauna Blankets and Traditional Saunas
Before I jump into the information about the blanket, I'd like to start by sharing some benefits of far infrared so you can know what to expect. However, if you already know you want one of these, I was able to get a great discount for you! Use HNG50 at checkout to get $50 off of your order. Or, if you've decided you want a traditional sauna instead of a blanket, you are also eligible for a secret discount on those by calling Sun Home Saunas and mentioning your friend over here at Heal Nourish Grow.
The deep penetration far infrared rays offer has a number of benefits. Benefits of a sauna blanket include blood circulation and complexion, promote detoxification through sweat, make your heart stronger, offer pain and stress relief, and boosts immunity. It is even used in cancer treatment (countries like Switzerland, Italy, France and more) since there is a belief that malignant cells don't survive high temperatures. Here's how some of these benefits are accomplished:
- Increased blood flow
- Increased heart rate and cardiac output
- Tissue warming helps blood vessels
- Promotes lymphatic cleansing
- Helps with elimination of fats
- Relaxation of muscles through heat helps with aches and pains
- Helps increase white blood cells and t-cells which help immune function, according to Dr. Dauwes
- A physiological response equivalent to medium or high intensity exercise (according to the Mayo Clinic), which may substantiate weight loss claims
My Experience with a Far Infrared Sauna Blanket
- Deep relaxation
- A good sweat, equivalent to some hot yoga classes
- Softer skin
- Better sleep (there is good evidence that raising your body temperature a couple of hours before bed is a good practice, as body temperature comes down, it helps your body relax and signals bed time)
- Self care though taking time to relax, I listen to podcasts during my sauna session
- Less arthritis pain
Comments on the experience/setup:
- Super easy set up, just take it out of the bag and lay it flat. It starts warming immediately once plugged in and temp is set. The setup time is less than a minute.
- It's easy to clean. I usually undo the velcro, wipe up any excess sweat and then use a Clorox wipe to sanitize. I let it lay flat to dry while I shower. You want to rinse off sweat and any released toxins as soon as possible.
- It takes under a minute to fold it back up and put it in the carry bag. Thankfully, the bag is large enough that you don't have to be extremely precise to get it back in…a real blessing if you've ever had other items with a case. Sometimes it's like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube!
Benefits of a Sauna Blanket from Sun Home Saunas
As a biohacker, one of the greatest concerns for me in deciding on a sauna blanket was the electromagnetic field rating (EMF). Why you should avoid EMF is a discussion for another day (until then, go here), but suffice it to say EMF has the potential to damage DNA and cells. If you're trying to do something that's good for you, the last thing you want to do is bombard your body with negative energy at the same time. Sun Home Saunas tests their blankets to be very low EMF which is the only reason I agreed to work with them, the report is available on request if you contact them. They comply with the RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU and the Commission Delegated Directive (EU).
The light from the sun is so important and has many benefits to our health! There has been a lot of discussion lately in the biohacking and keto communities about the benefits of getting sun on a daily basis. Far infrared light is a portion of the sun's energy that is an invisible part of the light spectrum. Infra means ‘below' in latin, which in this case, indicates that far infrared has even longer wavelengths and lower frequency than red light, which is the lowest frequency visible light. Unlike sun exposure, far infrared rays do not damage your skin. These light waves can penetrate deep into the surface of your skin reaching ligaments, tendons and muscles.
If you decide to try a sauna blanket, I'd love to hear what you think. I'm getting mine out as soon as I'm finished with the this article and listen to my favorite podcast. Speaking of podcasts, did you know I have one of the best health and wellness podcasts that you can listen to for free? Be sure to subscribe and learn more ways you can biohack your health.